Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 2 Abroad

The day began with some group tours with our program directors, Nerea y Miguel, around Granada and the outskirts of the city where the gypsies live.  Granada is the most beautiful city I have ever been to; no movie could capture the essence of what it feels like to be in a truly historical European city- although that didn't stop us all from thinking we were in a Jason Bourne movie whenever someone was running past us.  Granada has accumulated history from Germanic tribes, cultures of Muslims and Jewish peoples, and los reynos Catolicos.  Ferdinand and Isabella clearly left their mark on the city through the architecture of churches and statues- arrows represent Ferdinand all over the city, and the yoke of an oxe represents Isabella- I think I would have picked something a little more pretty. However, they could not completely stamp out the Muslim culture that had existed for hundreds of years prior to the 15th century.  I felt as if I was walking through Morocco, Italy, Greece, and Spain for most of the day.  On one side there would be cacti and orange trees, on the next side would be the background of the Sierra Nevada mountains.  It's going to take some time, but I could get used to this eclectic culture filled with history.


While wandering through the hillside of Granada, filled with little white homes and cobblestone streets, stray dogs run around free of care.  Most of these dogs actually have owners, considering that they have collars and look decently well-fed and groomed.  Dogs just roam the streets freely, owners take them on walks without leashes, or probably just let them out and expect them to turn up later.  One cute puppy out on the street was sitting down, intently staring above at the terrace of an apartment at another dog- we notice the woman come out of her apartment and start yelling to us "!es el novio!" (it's the boyfriend).  Guess even dogs can't resist the romance of the city.  But watch out for these strays- let's just say they go to the bathroom wherever and whenever, no one seems to care if they step in some dog shit here.  Life is just that good.


Did you know Granada means pomegranate?  That explained the pomegranate symbols all over the city.  I feel like I have been in Granada for a couple weeks already- if I don't start posting everyday I feel like my memory will start to fail me.  The rest of the day is a blur of historical places, stories of past royals, and some more yummy tapas bars.  I am looking forward to traveling to the mountains with the gypsies again to see some real flamenco dancing, and to go to the infamous discotecas.  For now, I am still steering clear of them when they offer us flowers and sage and ask to read your fortune on the street.  I think I can look ahead for myself and tell that this semester should be filled with some pretty amazing experiences.  

No comments:

Post a Comment